Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Vauban

Vauban is the street on which I live. Here is a shot of the house.
Allow me to give you the tour.

First, my room. I share it with two lovely Newfoundlanders, but as you can see, we have plenty of space. And, more importantly, plenty of closet space! What a blessing that we are all very sound sleepers, because there is quite a bit of coming and going at all hours, by all parties concerned.


We have 3 floors, 2 full bathrooms, one pink, one blue, and 2 toilet closets. As far as toilets go, we're covered.
Here you can see the hallway of closets. There is definetly more closet space than we need. This corridor can double as a place to keep guests! The closets can sleep at least 4!
The living room. This space is also called "the parlour" or "the piano bar." One roommate sometimes treats us to some entertainment on the keyboard he rented. Here is my roommate, Angela, in the kitchen. This space is rather small for 7 people trying to make dinner all at the same time. What is even more tricky is sharing the one fridge and one bar fridge between 7.
Everyone always has to work on Sundays and so after work we come home and while 2 people make dinner, the rest clean the house. This was our first "family dinner."
When a party happens at Vauban, it's called a "Vau-bash." At the first such event there was cheese fondue in the kitchen.
All in all, it's a nice place to live. My roommates are swell and there is always something going on. I'm a 10 minute walk from the train station, the grocery store, bakery, and pretty much all the necessities. Daily life in France is proving to be rather nice.

5 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Your place looks pretty nice...borderline swank for student accommodations! Liking the blog too--reading your stories and seeing your pictures. Keep 'em coming!

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm fondue. Sounds like fun - certainly more fun than Edmonton. But, do you get to watch hockey? :)

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Naomi said...

Alas, I do not get to watch hockey. I could probably listen to the games on live audio via the web, but that would involve staying up from 4am-7am or so, and I'm just not that big a fan. Perhaps if they make it to the finals...

I do, however, check the scores every morning after getting up, as the the games have just finished by that time. That way, I can seek-out hung-over Calgarians (or Canadians from any other hockey town for that matter) who might get off the Contiki tour buses that pull in to the site every morning at 10:30am, and gloat.

No seriously, I wouldn't do that. We're not allowed to discuss politics with the visitors, and so I assume that sports is also off limits.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Teresa, that place looks mighty fine, other than the usual small fridges that seem comon in Europe.

I would have been surprised if Naomi had said she would even watch a hockey game if it were on at the normal time, let alone in the middle of the night, but I've been watching them all. Go Oilers!

P.S. enjoy DP.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

I would concur that discussing hockey is definitely a good off-limits topic, ESPECIALLY to Calgarians right now! It's quite the sore point with many around these parts (like my students, who are constantly writing "Oilers Suck" all over my whiteboards)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home