Monday, May 22, 2006

At work

What does Naomi do all day at work? Well, I rarely have to exert myself all that much, which is great. The main thing that I do is give tours of a small portion of the tunnel system that exists on site. I show visitors how the tunnels were used to transport troops and supplies towards the front lines, while also interpreting the Canadian attack on Vimy Ridge, some features of the battlefield, and the memorial site as it exists today. On average, I give about 2 or 3 45 minute tours a day.

The flagpole where we gather our tour groups and start tours.
Below you can see the reception desk in the visitors centre. Sometimes I'm posted here to greet people, give information, and organize the day's tours.
When not doing either of the above duties, we head out to the trenches! I spend a good portion of my day walking up and down this path saying : "bonjour hello" to visitors as they pass by. We also ask them where they are from, and then tell them to get off the grass. When mobs of school children come through, we tell them to stop running and, from time to time, when their behaviour becomes unsavoury, we try to remind them that they are standing in a place where many men died and are still buried.

This path takes you over no man's land between the Canadian and German lines. On either side of the path are huge mine craters. We basically just hang out here to keep an eye on things, and to be available to answer any questions that people may have. We tend to do a lot of chatting with British and Canadian visitors. So that you don't feel left-out, here is a run-down of the basic info sought by most visitors:
Yes, we are, in fact, REAL Canadians.
We are students, working here for a 4 month term.
We have been here for X amount of time.
We live in Arras.
We love France.
The craters were not created by shells, but by underground mines.

Here you can see part of the very small portion of the German trenches that have been preserved.
The most amusing part of my job is use of the walkie-talkie. Ok, I'm not serious about that, but it does keep me amused from time to time. Did you copy that?
At other points during the day we can take leisurely walks up to the monument or out to a couple of Canadian cemetaries that are on site.

And, of course, when it's raining and no one is on site, we sit in our little lunch room and do what we like. I mostly try to read up on the war; some of my co-workers prefer to knit.
There you have it. Not thrilling by any means, but I do enjoy being paid to learn about something new. The best part of the job is meeting people who really want to know lots about history, and who share bits of their own family history (as it relates to the war, of course) with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home